Wednesday, June 15, 2011

clean 15


Something our family has put in place is making me happy. Each morning before the restaurant opens one of my three sons that work there, drives to Loreauville to a farmer’s house and buys the (organic) produce for the day. The farmer is a treat within himself. He is nearly 82 and his garden is unbelievable – it is so well orchestrated and an aesthetic masterpiece. He spends his day there, battling bugs, tying tomatoes, turning over peas for nitrogen, encouraging bees and ladybugs, and staying close to the earth, fulfilled and spent at 5 o’clock. I am so at peace that they are connecting food to farmer and they are loving the link while subliminally incorporating this into their lives –I’m planting seeds!!  Our food is the most important thing we buy/obtain and yet it is so automated and disseminated - processed and treated. One of my readers responded to the “apples and choices” entry and made a great suggestion – that I post the EWG’s list of the “Clean 15” - here it is:
1.         Onions
2.         Corn
3.         Pineapples
4.         Avocado
5.         Asparagus
6.         Sweet peas
7.         Mangoes
8.         Eggplant
9.         Sweet melon
10.      Kiwi
11.      Cabbage
12.      Watermelon
13.      Sweet potatoes
14.      Grapefruit
15.      Mushrooms
As you can see, there is enough good stuff here to keep you healthy and happy. As I said, this is just my humble opinion but it has to be a good idea to be mindful of what we put into our bodies – it all shows up later!

“It's bizarre that the produce manager is more important to my children's health than the pediatrician.”
Meryl Streep

Find a farmer
p s



No comments:

Post a Comment