Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Be Mine"

Valentine’s Day came and went without much thought from me. I disappoint myself. I usually look at this day of love stuck in the middle of February as a gateway of sorts into spring; hmmm this year I just ate the chocolate – no red velvet cupcakes, no cards, no sentimental journey…now I feel disappointed. I usually love Valentine’s Day – I love the way it sits there on the cusp of spring, the way the cold air blows over the precocious clover promising the arrival of spring, I love remembering the huge red heart my dad would buy for my mom and smaller matching hearts for the three kids and finding the caramel inside of a chocolate nugget, I love the little valentine cards of my youth – the ones that weren’t something Hollywood was promoting – the ones that simply said “Be Mine”.I suppose this little bit of apathy could have something to do with the way everything is hyper commercialized and mass produced and all about the bottom line. Or maybe it's because when I was in a department store on February 13 looking for valentine candy for my class, there was essentially none and the easter bunnies were lurking in the aisle about to be shelved – sorta takes away the magic for kids I think – tell me why , tell me how we have arrived at this pitiful point of consumerism? Okay, enough – this blog is suppose to be a positive flow of energy – not a rant. Happy Belated Valentine's day...

B U
P S


No comments:

Post a Comment