Saturday, January 8, 2011

sketches of my day May 2008 - Nov 2010

April 23, 2010
Earth Day
Well, Earth Day is over. That means , for alot of people, you can go back to doing what you do the other 364 days of the year. JJ
I don't want to get into the political issues of global warming and all the fanfare that comes with it; I just know that being a good steward of the earth is the right thing to do - it really is that simple to me.
We are born with nothing and we leave with nothing, we leave this planet to our children. We leave our attitude towards it also. I grew up in the 60s and my mother grew up in the Great Depression - I witnessed conservation and respect for all that you had. I remember once, her rescuing a partial slice of bread from the kitchen trash to feed the birds  - no waste, "you don't throw food away". I can draw up that image so clearly and it continues to speak volumes to me and prevents me from ever throwing out food - I compost and have chickens. Anyway, that is how I grew up and consequently, that is what I learned. It seems many people just are on this bandwagon for the coolness of it or so that they can buy all of the cool green "stuff”. It is way beyond all of that, it is my mom rescuing a piece of bread for the birds and Miss Sue saving seeds and watering her garden with a tin can; it is about attitude and respect, not fanfare and bumper stickers.
b u,
p.s.

No comments:

Post a Comment