Sunday, January 2, 2011

sketches of my day May 2008 - Nov 2010

March 7, 2010 
seeds of change
Winter is waning just as the Full Worm moon fades in the chilly sky, this Lenten Moon that is considered to be the last full Moon of winter. I am finding signs of spring beneath ever patch of rotting leaves, under each clay pot that I move from the garden, and within each scoop of soil I turn over. Life is quick there, moving swiftly, getting ready for the warmer air and the renewal of this frigid planet. Soon buds will be fat and ready to burst and early spring flowers will scent the crisp air and once again, we will feel renewed. The tasks at hand are colossal however; winter has made a big mess. I suppose it is nature’s little way of getting us outside working hard to shed some of the fat winter has put on us from our languid winter behaviors and too much comfort food. With that thought in mind, I welcome the toil. I spend each moment I can in my garden, me and my chickens. They have helped me so much in these late days of winter; they scratch for fat worms ascending from the cold depths of the dirt and while scratching for them, they uproot winter weeds – we are practicing sustainable agriculture! However, they are nondiscriminatory and will continue this scratch and peck rhythm when I put tomato plants in the ground; they will destroy my vegetable crops! I am not quite sure how I will handle this??? For now, however, we make a great team.

:)
p.s.



No comments:

Post a Comment