Saturday, January 8, 2011

sketches of my day May 2008 - Nov 2010

 May 24, 2010
June
Ahh summer. I saw a green dragonfly in my garden yesterday and a tiny ribbon snake finding its way into the underbrush .My gardenia bush is exploding with the fragrance that whispers summer and there is a line for the birdbath. I picked my first zucchini yesterday and turned it into three loaves of zucchini bread and I will gather more dew berries today, collecting enough to make a cobbler next Sunday. My daughter proposed we only eat from the garden this season. I suppose she has an immature interpretation of my garden, but the idea is pleasing. I plan to make fewer trips to the grocery store this season of squash and cucumbers and tomatoes and prepare more in my kitchen from my garden. My cousin sent a recipe for vegetarian lasagna made with zucchini that I am anxious to try (it will follow this post) and I cannot wait to dig up potatoes early in June. It is all so visual and wonderful. I truly cannot imagine a year without a garden. I love the changing of the seasons and it seems I never am disappointed with the dramatic delivery and the feelings of renewal they rouse.
"I used to visit and revisit it a dozen times a day, and stand in deep contemplation over my vegetable progeny with a love that nobody could share or conceive of who had never taken part in the process of creation.  It was one of the most bewitching sights in the world to observe a hill of beans thrusting aside the soil, or a rose of early peas just peeping forth sufficiently to trace a line of delicate green".
  Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mosses from an Old Manse

Glenda's Zucchini Lasagna

 1 medium onion chopped
 1 clove garlic finely chopped
 1t olive oil
 1  15 oz can tomato sauce
 1t oregano
 dash pepper
 2c low fat cottage cheese
 1/2c parmesan
 1 egg
 3 medium zucchini
 2t flour
 1c shredded mozzarella
 1. Saute onion and garlic in oil for two minutes.  Stir in tomato sauce, oregano and pepper.  Bring to boiling.  Simmer uncovered 20 minutes until thickened.
 2.Combine cottage cheese, parmesan and egg in blender.  Whirl until smooth.
 3.  Spray baking dish with nonstick vegetable/olive oil cooking spray.
 4.  Slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/4" thick strips.  Layer half in dish.  Sprinkle with flour (I've found you need more flour than called for or it gets pretty soupy).  Spread with half each of the cheese mixture, tomato sauce, and mozzarella.  Repeat layers.
 5.  Bake in preheated 350degree oven for 40 minutes or until tender.  Let stand 15 minutes.....STANDING IS REQUIRED or (again)  it's soupy.
b u
ps

No comments:

Post a Comment