Sunday, January 9, 2011

sketches of my day May 2008 - Nov 2010

July 14, 2010
lists
Lists, somewhat of a modern day plague. I somehow think these inventories are poisoning our drinking water. They have become measuring sticks and we are comparing ourselves and worse, our children, to these manufactured postings: top ten fastest, top ten most expensive, top ten Hollywood bodies, top ten luxury cars, top ten places to live,  etc – who cares? It is becoming more and more difficult to find the space to think your own thoughts and not compare people; we are compromising our creativity with lists and we are damaging the self esteem of children. I hate when people say, “When I was a kid”, but I have to include this line to make my point; our world was “our world”, not a series of some illusive goals to attempt set by the media and mass marketing. Now we know what everyone is doing and society is having a field day posting these lists of who is doing it “best”. To add to this modern day muddle, most all of it is contrived – plastic surgery, enhancement drugs, Photoshop - but our kids, and, sadly, ourselves, are using this propaganda as our measuring sticks. I conclude my soapbox soliloquy with this quote by Steven Pressfield,
 “Our job in this lifetime is not to shape ourselves into some ideal we imagine we ought to be, but to find out who we already are and become it”.
b u
p s

No comments:

Post a Comment