Saturday, January 8, 2011

sketches of my day May 2008 - Nov 2010

March 28, 2010
finding things

I remember being fascinated with the way I could find anything at my mom and dad’s house on Live Oak Lane. If one of my kids needed some obscurity for school or if I was on the hunt for a relic from the past, somewhere, in some drawer or closet, I could find “it”. That’s what happens to a house when you have lived there for so long; it accumulates and it stores memories, literally and figuratively. Well, I am there. I have moved up the domestic ladder and I think you can find anything here at my house. I never imagined it to happen here because, unlike my mother, I do, on occasion, declutter. I am beginning to object  all of this propaganda to declutter and simplify your space, why not keep the memories stuffed in little corners and in cardboard boxes and under beds. Who cares? I think I will stop listening, if only peripherally, to the “next big thing” and keep all I want to keep. When someone needs some obscurity, I will be able to produce it, just as my mom and dad did. My one and only cousin “on my dad’s side” sent a quote to me yesterday – "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.  The truth is the truth even if no one believes it”. So true, and yet another layer to this truism is ,“just because everyone is doing it doesn’t make it right”. I find comfort in clutter, no matter what “everyone” says.
b u,
p.s.

No comments:

Post a Comment