Sunday, January 9, 2011

October 3, 2010 - piddle

And so the week end ends…Here, where I am, it was perfect weather and so hard to say good bye to it. I wonder if I would appreciate the week end so much if I did not work. I think so; somehow whether you work or not, the week end says slow down. I spent some of my Saturday “just piddlin”.I delight in the art of piddling; my grandmother was great at it – she piddled well into her 80s. I looked up “piddle” in the dictionary and it said, "to spend time in a wasteful, trifling, or ineffective way; dawdle (often fol. by around): He wasted the day piddling around. "
I so disagree!! It is important to piddle. I think I uncover some of myself when I piddle. I might come across a Lego block from Jon and Will’s childhood or a tiny toy airplane that Matt and Drew forgot in a deep corner of a cabinet or a trail of bobby pins and earrings Elizabeth has left behind and my mind takes me to some moment, a pleasant one, of long ago. Funny, but those long ago moments seem so perfect now, so comforting and soothing. Time does that and this old house that has held our lives for over 25 years is a great place to find those yesterdays.
 “What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday…” .

b u
p s

No comments:

Post a Comment