Sunday, January 9, 2011

sketches of my day May 2008 - Nov 2010

June 15, 2010
swings and dragon flies
 
For some unknown reason I was thinking about childhood and swings. Maybe it was the  green dragonfly that sat on my clothesline while I hung out my sheets, or maybe it was the four o’clocks that open in the late afternoon when the heat lifted just a bit, or perhaps it was the sliver of the new moon hanging in the summer sky just below Venus. I don’t know, but all of my senses say summer and summer reminds me of childhood and childhood reminds me of swings. I can remember so vividly swinging on the playground swing set in first grade. When the recess bell rang, I would run to the playground to “get a swing”. It was a freeing experience, a disconnect. I would swing and sing. One of the songs I sang was “Oh Little Playmate”. Because of the “wonder” of the World Wide Web, I have found the lyrics:
Oh little playmate Come out and play with me
And bring your dollies three
Climb up my apple tree
Slide down my rain barrel
Into my cellar door
And we'll be jolly friends Forever more
more  
 
I'm sorry playmate I cannot play with you
My dolly's got the flu
Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
'Ain't got no rain barrel
'Ain't got no cellar door
But we'll be jolly friends
Forever more


Anyway, thinking about those days in the clouds made me think of swing sets and how they have changed, a change that parallels childhood, I think.

 
FREE
$31 - $52


 $99



$1953


so I ask, what kid had more fun?
b u
p s

No comments:

Post a Comment