Sunday, January 9, 2011

sketches of my day May 2008 - Nov 2010

August 22, 2010
time

Early this morning, really early before I was fully awake, I thought the most unusual thought; I thought of the garbage can in my mother’s kitchen. It stood there underneath the wall oven right there on the floor as if in a place of honor, not hidden behind a $200 cabinet door. For all of my childhood, it was lined with a brown paper bag from the grocery store and was a source of irritation for my dad when the Community Coffee grinds settled on the bottom and caused “trouble” when he lifted it out %^&#! The word recycle had not hit the media and plastic trash bags were not staples, only the brown paper bag was available. Honestly, however, I don’t know what my mom would have done without it – what would she have put French Fries on or how would she have drained her fried chicken? Anyway, I am thinking of this garbage can in the kitchen and thinking how it took a while to fill it up, whereas today, we have so much junk, we need trash compactors. I suppose it has something to do with the boxes and cans that line our pantry shelves instead of the fresh food that we (could) find in our gardens or the market. No, that would be too hard because we are so busy, right? We are busy, no doubt, but what is it we are busy doing? Making money to buy things – that’s what I’m thinking. In my early morning thoughts, in my alpha state, I think of the comfort of time, time to prepare a meal, time to sit down with my family and share it, time to have dessert, time to stop and do the things that are important. I am not sure what happened between then and now, but I know for certain, my mother had more “time”. Perhaps we don’t need the $200 cabinet door?

b u
ps

No comments:

Post a Comment