Sunday, January 9, 2011

sketches of my day May 2008 - Nov 2010


July 28, 2010
memories
What do you do with this? Our hot water heater had to be changed so the laundry room had to be somewhat cleaned out. I found layers of life in the broom closet, things that were, through the years, hastily thrown in there for safe keeping and perhaps, later use – my mom’s umbrella, extra floor tile from Jon and Will’s bathroom, a never used “Swiffer”, and this, a little hourglass. This was for Elizabeth when she was learning to brush her teeth, something visual and literal to tell her how long to brush. I don’t know why it ended up in the broom closet, but it did and now what? What should be its future? Life can be so turbulent and messy and it can hurt sometimes, but then you find a remnant from the past that forces you to recall a happy moment, a tender moment from childhood and for a minute you reach back, you escape, and remember something sweet and with this memory you feel good and go on. So, does that stir of positive emotion validate all of the things I have stored in my attic? That concept completely denies me the ability to “lighten up”. It keeps me in the past and clutters my emotional and physical space – this is complicated. The memory that this little thing caused was so soothing for me - it represented a time of less complication and I remembered a little girl that I once had…I suppose the answer is moderation,
but what do I do with this hourglass?
b u
p s

No comments:

Post a Comment